Values, Ethos & Aims
Care. Believe. Succeed.
‘All things are possible for one who believes’ – Mark 9:23
St Mary’s Junior School works to foster a culture of respect and compassion, where children are confident to take risks, persevere and embrace challenges. We strive to provide dynamic learning without limits, to give children the wisdom, skills and knowledge they need to aim high and achieve their full potential as unique individuals within an inclusive environment.
Our School Aims
St Mary’s CofE (VC) JM School aims to create an environment where:
- all are supported, valued and nurtured within a foundation of Christian Values and Worship.
- all feel safe and respected within a culture of acceptance, whilst promoting high self-esteem.
- we focus on potential and learning without limits.
- all are encouraged to take risks, persevere and challenge themselves in their own learning, asking questions and deepening their understanding of the world around them
- learners are inspired to be inquisitive of their own personal beliefs and the beliefs of others.
At St. Mary’s, we pride ourselves on our caring Christian ethos, which runs alongside our curriculum and is part of everything we do here. Explicit Values Education is embedded into daily life at St Mary’s Junior School. Each half term we focus on a different Christian Value which forms the theme for our Collective Worship programme, linked to specific Bible teachings.
Six core values drive our Christian school ethos, ‘Care. Believe. Succeed.’ These whole school values are:
School Values & Christian Value links
Courage, Hope and Freedom
Awe and Wonder
Humility and Honesty
Patience, Faithfulness and Peace
Unity, Peace and Compassion
Joy, Self-control and Courage
This is followed up in class discussions and a weekly award badge given to children who have demonstrated the value in some way. Our aim is for children to understand and be able to identify and articulate the importance of values in their own lives, now and in the future.